We aspire and commit to providing a great experience to all Xpand conference participants, so we expect all attendees to show respect and courtesy to others throughout all events taking place throughout the conference days.
All attendees, speakers, sponsors, and volunteers at Xpand conference 2023 must agree to abide by this code of conduct, which organizers will enforce throughout the conference. We expect everyone to work together to help ensure a safe environment for everyone.
Need help? Please email@example.com any questions or concerns. We’re here to help.
Xpand events' code of conduct
Xpand events are dedicated to providing a harassment-free learning experience for everyone, regardless of:
- Gender identity or expression
- Sexual orientation
- Physical appearance
- Body size
- Native language
- Religion (or lack thereof)
- Technology choices
- Life experiences
We don’t tolerate harassment of any form. Remember that harassment and sexist, racist, or exclusionary jokes are not appropriate at this event. Sexual language and imagery are not appropriate for any event; including talks, workshops, meetups, parties, and online media outlets.
Each event guest is entirely responsible for their own actions.
Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down other attendees. Behave professionally.
Thank you for helping to make this a welcoming, friendly space for all.
Unacceptable Behavior includes:
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, ethnicity, nationality, native language, religion (or lack thereof), technology choices, life experiences, or other defining characteristics
- Any lewd or offensive behavior or language, using sexually explicit or offensive language or conduct, obscene gestures, profanity, display of sexual images in public spaces, or racial, religious or ethnic slurs
- Deliberate intimidation
- Harassing photography or recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical contact
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Failure to wear clothing that is suitable for a work environment, that is provocative, inappropriate or otherwise offensive.
- Any destruction or vandalization of personal property, the event site, or materials
- Possessing any illegal substance
- Possessing any open receptacle containing alcohol beverages, except in areas specifically designated for the consumption of alcohol. Being excessively intoxicated, as determined by Xpand - please drink responsibly.
- Smoking in areas that are not designated as smoking areas
- Committing any unlawful act or engaging in any offensive behavior
- Failure to obey any of the rules or regulations of the event venues or instructions of Xpand event staff
- Do not engage in any uacceptable behavior described above — be respectful and considerate, and refrain from discriminatory or otherwise inappropriate behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert event staff if you notice a dangerous situation or if you or someone else is in distress.
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Focusing on what is best for everyone at the event
- Showing empathy towards other participants
Sponsor and Xpand Obligations
Sponsors are also subject to this Code of Conduct. In particular, sponsors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Xpand event organizers should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment.
If someone makes you or anyone else feel unsafe or unwelcome, please report it to a member of the Conference staff as soon as possible. Conference staff is always available at the registration desk at the entrance to the venue, and around the activities halls. If you experience or witness a life-threatening emergency, please contact local authorities by dialing 191 immediately.
Harassment and other Code of Conduct violations reduce the value and safety of our event for everyone. We want you to be comfortable at our event. You can make a report either personally or anonymously.
If you see a Code of Conduct violation and you’re comfortable doing so, let the person know that what they did is inappropriate and ask them to stop. That person should immediately stop the behavior and correct the issue. If the behavior continues, or if you’re uncomfortable speaking up:
- Contact conference staff as soon as possible (anonymously, in person at the event, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A staff member will immediately address the issue and take further action
When taking a personal report, our staff will ensure you’re safe and can’t be overheard. Our staff may involve other event staff to ensure your report is managed properly. Once you’re safe, we’ll ask you to tell us what happened. We realize this can be upsetting, but we’ll handle it as respectfully as possible. If you would like, you can bring someone with you for support while you make the report. You won’t be asked to confront anyone and we won’t tell the offending individual (or anyone else) who you are.
Our team will be happy to help you:
- Contact hotel or venue security, local law enforcement, or local support services
- Provide escorts, or otherwise assist you to feel safe for the duration of the event
We value you and appreciate your attendance.
Anyone asked to stop any harassing behavior or violations of the Code of Conduct must do so immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, Conference organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender, expelling the offender from the Conference without warning or refund, and engaging local law enforcement.